Monday, July 26, 2010

Daniels - May 1, 2010

Fun flight at Daniels yesterday. When we got up top John, Ward and I actually did clear for a little while but then we wanted to get set up. However Bacil wisely went to work on the right side of the slot. There are some larger saplings further down that really need to go. On launch I waited for awhile but all the cycles would only fill up part ofthe slot. I couldn't find a good clean cycle so I ended up taking a light but consistent cycle and got off fine. But I think the stuff further down the slot is messing with the airflow. Right off of launch I worked easy ridge lift right up to 1,100' over and explored the ridge. I flew into the valley and didn't find anything. Back on the ridge I could see that Luis was not launching and that Laszlo had set up. At that point the air above the ridge was still soarable but the lift was dying out quickly. We all headed out to land at pretty much the same time but worked it out. I hit a little pothole when I turned onto final that kind of messed up my approach but I still pulled off the flare. Huge thanks to Bacil for all his work in the slot (we really need a crew of us and a full day) and also thanks to Ward for the ground support. Much, much appreciated.
http://vimeo.com/11398667

No comments: