Monday, July 26, 2010

Sacramento, PA - June 8, 2010


Bacil and I were planning to fly the Pulpit again yesterday but my phone rang a little after 7:00am. It was Bacil and he suggested going up to the SAC since it was still pretty northerly at McConnellsburg. I've been there twice before and only flown once - when I was a Hang 2 and I sledded. The second time, there wasn't even enough wind to launch safely. If you haven't been there, it's a slot launch like Woodstock, but much more shallow and very long. The launch is only 600' AGL so there's not much time to find lift before you need to set up your approach. Driving up (3 hrs.), the wind direction was good and the sky started looking amazing. When I got there it was coming in so I set up. After awhile Bacil rolled in, then Karen and Joe, and then Bob with Cook, Doug with Nat, and finally T.R. Bacil launched first around 2:30 and showed it was soarable so I got hooked in and launched. The air on the ridge was bumpy, handing me a couple uncommanded turns but I wasn't too close to anything solid. Once up above the ridge I found a boomer that I rode from 500' over launch to 5,800' over. I drifted waaaaay back in the valley behind launch and as I was heading back out front, I ran into another that I rode up to 5,900' over. I did that a few times until I came into a thermal under Bob and reached my max altitude of 6,120' over (7,600' MSL). A new record for me! I couldn't quite get up to Bob who got to 6,750' over. With frozen hands I punched out front into the valley and boated around trying to get lower and warmer. I did, and decided I was satisfied so I landed in the main tiny little field. I love that uphill, fly on the wall landing though. After we all got packed up, Karen and Joe hosted everyone for an excellent dinner. Thanks again to Joe and Karen and thanks Bacil for a great weather call. Again, tons of video but it'll have to wait.

No comments: