Monday, July 26, 2010

Woodstock - June 10, 2010 - The Airport!

Another great day at Woodstock. I helped Roger and Mark off, both of whom had very nice launches. Bacil showed up shortly thereafter and I started to get hooked in. As soon as I was ready at 4:30, it ramped up beyond reasonable so I had to wait for an hour. Once I did launch it was really nice on the ridge, I went right up to 1,500' over in a few minutes. I hung around launch since Bacil had no crew, and once he was off, Roger and I started to head toward Signal Knob. We stopped for thermals a few times and got up there wth ease, passing MarkC on his way back. Once we got to the Knob, Roger turned back but I hung out for a little bit. I found a pretty good climb to 2,000' over launch near the tower and then decided to go ahead on back. As I got to the reservoir I saw Bacil coming up the ridge not too far away so I stopped and there I found a real nice thermal that I drifted back with to 4,100' over (6K MSL). I flew back out front and didn't lose a whole lot, down to about 3,700' over when Bacil called for the airport. I looked East and saw nice puffy clouds to follow and the airport looked very easy to get to. So I pulled VG, pointed towards it and didn't even have to think about stopping for lift. I got way ahead of Bacil because he had stopped at that ridge so I just boated around on the way doing circles in zero sink or whatever, waiting for him to catch up. Once he did I cored sink for a couple thousand feet down to the airport while Bacil reminded me of the rules over the radio. Then I set up a regular non-powered aircraft approach and set it down right in the grass next to the taxi-way and the giant windsock. A sweet no step landing to top it off. Bacil came in very shortly after me and had a real nice landing also. I have lots of video to go through. I'll post something. Great to meet you Roger and thanks Bacil for flying to the airport with me. But most of all, thanks Tony for coming to get us. Very much appreciated.

No comments: