Monday, July 26, 2010

Woodstock - June 30, 2010

Another great day at Woodstock. I arrived on launch first about 1:30 to light but soarable conditions. John M, Roger, and Steve showed up soon after dropping a couple vehicles in the main LZ. We watched some vultures soaring in what appeared to be smooth air so John launched his PG and quickly found out it wasn't so smooth. Steve was next with Roger following, both had real nice launches. I was last off around 4:00, self-launched into easy light wind. There was a West cross so there was definitely turbulence down low on the ridge. There was enough ridge lift to sustain you but it wasn't going high. After 20 minutes of that I found a thermal that I took up to 1,200' over and Roger and I headed South to the Gap where some nice looking clouds were. I got way down there with nary a beep, though I was in some zero for part of it. Roger found something which I bee-lined to and we got up about 2K over and continued. Didn't find anything else so I turned back home. When I got back to launch the lift was much improved, I climbed to 2,100' over and it slowly turned magic. I spent over an hour zooming around a few hundred over launch, full stuff barely going down. Roger noticed I was having all the fun and came and joined me in the smooth 200 fpm lift above launch. I chased a bunch of vultures, got real close to one, and got an awesome shot of Roger turning under me. Just as I landed a little after 6:00, John M launched his U2 and Gary and Randy also launched. Thanks Steve, for driving me back up. And Roger, glad you got another good one after such a long drive, it was way fun flying with you, glad to help on launch.
http://vimeo.com/13000163

No comments: